Yekaterinburg to Reconsider Underground Extension for EXPO 2025

UrBC, Yekaterinburg, December 27, 2017. Head of Yekaterinburg Council Alexander Yakob said they would consider other options apart from Yekaterinburg Underground extension in case the city gets chosen as the host for EXPO 2025. Yakob announced the news during his interview to Open Studio.

According to the official, they will have to decide whether it makes sense to introduce a second line to Yekaterinburg Underground once all the layout planning for Expo Park has been completed. In 2019, provided the city does get to host the exhibition, they will start working on public transit planning and passenger traffic calculations.

‘I believe we are looking at a multi-functional transit solution. I think we’ll have all kinds of public transport there, and the underground is a must. We need to bear in mind, however, that this is an expensive thing to build. Should we come up with some other, efficient and convenient, solutions, these could actually prove more competitive than the subway,’ Head of Yekaterinburg Council said.

Former Mayor of Yekaterinburg and current member of the Federation Council Arkadiy Chernetsky said earlier that the city was sure to get the funding necessary to put up an extension line to Yekaterinburg Underground in case it was going to host EXPO 2025.


Other materials on the topic::