Yekaterinburg To Face Waste Disposal Crisis In A Month, Company Says

UrBC, Yekaterinburg, November 12, 2018. Spetsavtobaza, the taxpayers-funded, town-council run agency for waste treatment and disposal, predicts a major solid household waste (SHW) crisis in Yekaterinburg as soon as thirty days from now, the enterprise’s head Sergey Ponomarev announced at a recent meeting with Yekaterinburg Duma deputies.

According to Ponomarev, the crisis can be brought about by a court ruling that prohibits Spetsavtobaza Yekaterinburg Municipal Unitary Enterprise from landing new waste treatment contracts with end users.

Ponomarev explained that only 1,300 out of 36,000 waste producers in Yekaterinburg had signed contracts with the company; what is more, no waste disposal rates had been fixed as of yet. Unless things change for the better, all of the city’s waste producers will have to dispose of their SHW on their own starting January 1, 2019.

‘The problem needs to be solved before January 1. In case we miss the deadline, all the transportation companies will have to face the SHW disposal issues on their own. There are only enough resources for one month,’ he said.


Other materials on the topic::