MMK Has Fewer Hazardous Jobs

UrBC, Magnitogorsk, November 1, 2017. Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel Works (MMK) directed RUR 223m to working conditions improvements last year; as a result, the plant now has fewer jobs with hazardous factors, MMK Information, PR & Advertising Department refers to the plant’s Jobs Safety and Industrial Safety Director Alexei Beltyukov.

According to Beltyukov, a special working conditions evaluation procedure has been carried out at 76% of all the workplaces. The remaining 24% will get inspected in 2018. An ad hoc committee gets set up by the Director-General’s order every year, an evaluation schedule gets agreed upon, and a special decree to regulate the procedure comes into effect.

Everything to do with the evaluation procedure is done with the help of an automated software system. The system completes all the evaluation sheets along every criterion automatically, then creates evaluation procedure reports, and enters evaluation results for every single job.

‘Based on this evaluation procedures, we come up with and take a number of steps to improve working conditions at the plant. Last year, 189 different measures were taken, which cost some RUR 200m. For example, the plant’s foundry shop got reconstructed so as to cover the pig iron and slag chutes and thus reduce thermal exposure at Blast Furnace 9. Also, up-to-date iron tap-hole closing unit, some boring units, and a hydraulically actuated tank were installed at the same blast furnace department to increase production automation. We also introduced a number of improvements at the long products department, the thick steel sheet department, and the ore mining and processing departments. As a result, the number of jobs with risk factor 3.3 and 3.4 was reduced from 1,105 in 2015 down to 981 in 2017. Additionally, 166 workplaces got improved in terms of lighting, work intensity, micro-climate, and so on,’ the department says.


Other materials on the topic::