State of Sverdlovsk Region Railways is deplorable, reports President of Russian Railways Vladimir Yakunin

17 April 2007 (12:36)

‘The state of Sverdlovsk Region Railways is deplorable and, as a matter of fact, this is the most poorly functioning section in Russia. The losses amounted to 13 million RUR last year; to make matters worse, the company failed to achieve the target performance figures for the first quarter of 2007,’ President of Russian Railways Vladimir Yakunin announced at a meeting with the company representatives today.

‘The safety level was obviously shameful last year; there were cases of setoffs, five instances of derailing, and damaging of goods. Anyone has a right to err, but if this person’s mistake leads to human casualties, it is plainly unacceptable. What is more, the facilities are apparently mismanaged; when I was shown pictures of the local railways (made by acting head of Sverdlovsk Region Railways Mr. Kozyrev), I was truly ashamed. All the managers and employees must assume responsibility for their inertia,’ Mr. Yakunin said.

‘Now that one of our best managers Vladimir Suprun has been appointed the new Head, I do hope things will get better. Mr. Suprun will have to do his best to bring the railways to order. Former Head Shevket Shaidullin was vested with enormous power and responsibility, but no one is above our law. We do remain hopeful, however, that he will be able to learn the right lesson.’

Other materials on the topic::